For this is what the Christ child means to so many – the light that saves us – the joy of new birth – the celebrating of the shepherds, angels and wise men. The love of Mary and Joseph. The innocence and awe of the animals and children as shared in the hymns around the story, which is a beautiful one that still touches our hearts.
As well as the meaningful story that we enjoy reading and singing about at Christmas, in Unity we also look at the story metaphysically; moving beyond a literal meaning to a deeper truth that applies to all of us, here and now.
From Unity co-founder, Charles Fillmore:
- The shepherds represent the protecting energy of God watching over us, acknowledging God, as Spirit and Source, our ever-present help and understanding.
- The angels are God’s messengers bringing divine ideas and messages to help us overcome all limited beliefs and conditions.
- Mary represents the soul that magnifies the Lord, through her devotional preparations for the higher life, along with the divine motherhood of love.
- Joseph represents divine wisdom, which in the beginning of the story does not understand what is happening, yet comes to know his place and what is his to do.
- The star of Bethlehem represents our inner conviction of our own divinity, helping us to move forward and succeed
- The birth of the Christ, which represents the birth of our true Self, our divinity coming forth into the world. Not through our efforts but through the activity of the Lord, our Christ self.
Source: Revealing Word, A Dictionary of Metaphysical Terms: The Metaphysical Bible Dictionary
To make the story real for you, take a moment to reflect on a challenge you are experiencing right now. It may be a health or financial challenge, or relationship issues – anything you are experiencing. Take a moment to be present to it and gently acknowledge it. Now, take the symbols above and apply them to your situation.
- The shepherds - Acknowledge God as your Source, as Spirit, here for you now. Through Source, there is a divine energy with and within you, guiding you, protecting you as help and understanding, to see you through – feel into that energy for a few moments …
- The Angels -Make space in your mind and heart to receive divine ideas, inspiration, to help you take your next steps in a positive direction …
- Mary and Joseph -Let the qualities of divine love and wisdom fill you … feel into them in your mind, heart and body, for they reside within you, to support and be with you on this journey of healing and understanding …
- The Star- Alllow yourself to feel the conviction of your own divinity – you are human and at the same time divine, with all the qualities you need within you and shared with you …
- The Birth of Christ –As you move through the challenge to the revelation of healing, abundance or harmony, know with faith that the Christ in you is being revealed – your inner light shining more brightly, the Christ child born in you once more. Rest in this knowing for a few moments …
As we practice using the tools that are here for us, we feel more resilient, strong, uplifted and free, ready to celebrate Christmas wherever we are. In doing this, let us also take time to reflect on, honour and celebrate our deepening experience of the birth of the Christ energy within us, to witness our divinity being realised even more this year, to witness peace, harmony and understanding in the world.
All of us at Unity UK hold you in blessings and prayers, affirming for you a blessed Advent and Christmas.
Would you like to begin your week with an inspiring email?Click here to sign up for our Thought for the Week email list
Unity in the UK